05 March 2009

Music and War

I thought I'd put in a little note about the titles of blog posts having to do with my time in Viet Nam forty years ago. If you are a person of a certain age, the names may ring a bell. For others (persons of an uncertain age?), herewith a brief guide to the titles so far:
  • "Momma Told Me Don't Come": I miswrote this. It's actually "Momma Told Me (Not To Come)". The song was very popular among soldiers in Viet Nam at the time I was there, for the obvious reason. The song was recorded by Three Dog Night and released on an album in March, 1970. It was written by Randy Newman.
  • "Find the Cost of Freedom": Nothing miswritten here. This song was originally released on the two-record album, "Four Way Street", by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, in 1971. This classic LP included the songs "Suite Judy Blue Eyes", "Teach Your Children", "(Four Dead in) Ohio", "Southern Man" and "Chicago", among others. Part of the lyrics: "Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground / Mother Earth will swallow you, lay your body down / Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground / Mother Earth will swallow you, lay your body down".

Others will follow. I'll add a notes of explanation as I go along.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment